Sunday, May 18, 2014

Run Faster to Run Faster

One thing I read on a regular basis is that if you want to run faster, you need to run faster.  Makes sense.  Adding in tempo runs and speed work will work wonders for your speed.

As I continue with what I like to call my pre-training for the Hotlanta Half in August, this has become quite evident.  My race training plan does not officially start until I get back from vacation in the first week of June, but I have been working on tempo runs and speed work at least once a week on a treadmill for the past couple months.  Pre-training to me is getting myself in the best shape possible to begin the full training I will need to do for that half marathon, which will in turn have me ready to start Goofy training in September.

Anyway, back to running faster.  What I have seen is the times on my long run gradually decreasing to the point that my average pace was below a 10 minute mile for the first time ever last Friday.  For these long runs I do not even look at my watch until I know I am well past the halfway point.  I go with what feels right that day.  End result is that I am not pushing myself to make a better time each week.  It is just happening naturally, which to me is how it should be.

What I am going to be curious to see is what happens to these times as the temperatures on long run mornings start to get warmer each week.  Will I struggle more to keep up the good pace, or will the increased speed training compensate to keep me going at a good pace?

There is a 10K on July 4 morning on the Big Creek Greenway what Karen and I might sign up for.  That should be nice and hot to offer a good test to see if I can keep up a good pace for 6.2 miles.  My goal pace for that race right now would be a 9:30 mile with a finish in under 60 minutes.  With where I am right now, I am confident I am within striking distance of that.  Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment