Sunday, July 6, 2014

10 K Goal Accomplished

July 4 was the We the Runners 10K on the Big Creek Greenway.  Back when I started this latest training cycle for the Hotlanta Half Marathon next month, I set a goal of finishing this race in under an hour.  I figured if I could do that then I would know that training was where it probably should be.

I will say that the weather on July 4 was nothing like your typical July 4 in Cumming, Georgia.  The temperature at the start was only 61, and the humidity was not bad either.

What this good weather allowed Karen and I to do was come out the gate flying.  I turned a mile 1 pace of 9:03, which is the fastest mile I have ran in any race.  From there I ran every mile at a less than 10 minute pace.  End result was a finish time of 57:43.  This time was 13 minutes faster than my previous official 10K pace.  Nothing to complain about with this time.

However, I am fairly certain that had there been normal July 4 weather, the pace I ran would have been much tougher to accomplish.  I am under no illusions that the August 24 race in downtown Atlanta will be an easy affair.  I have 6 full weeks of training remaining before the taper week, which should give me a chance to train some more in high humidity mornings.

In regards to the race itself.  The We the Runners 10K was very well put together by Zulu Racing.  It was a much more relaxed and laid back alternative to the Peachtree Road Race, and the start/finish was only 10 minutes from my house, which allowed us to sleep in later on July 4.  Not a bad way to spend July 4 morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment