Monday, March 17, 2014

Two years and running

Almost two years ago to the day, I started running after not doing anything resembling that for over 15 years.  I decided one day that I wanted to run a half marathon and that the Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon would be a good way to start.  My wife decided that she would join me in this little adventure as well.

So began seven months of training that included running a 5K and a 10K in what was the biggest heat wave to hit Atlanta in years.  It all culminated with the Wine & Dine Half in November 2012.

While I did not finish my first race in the time I wanted to and was miserable due to running on some shoes I should have traded out long ago, I was sufficiently hooked.  I needed to get back out there and do better.

So began a series of races throughout 2013 where I was able to decrease my half marathon PR two times. When I started running again, I always said that the half marathon distance was enough for me.  Well that was thrown out the door after running my second half marathon last year.  Why not go for the full distance?  So my wife and I signed up for 2014 Disney Marathon.

It was hard and time consuming training.  However, we successfully finished our first marathon.  As with my first half marathon, I did not finish this first race in nearly the time I wanted to, but I did learn a lot of things.  Things that will be very helpful in training for future races.

No comments:

Post a Comment